Windsor has much in common with Bridgewater on the South Shore in that both are historic towns that have evolved into regional service centers. The countryside around Windsor is also pretty, particularly in autumn, and residents of Halifax often make the 66-km (41-mi) drive to the "Gateway of the Annapolis Valley" to take in two fall events.
Hants County Exhibition. Staged annually since 1765, this is the continent's oldest agricultural fair, taking place over six days in mid-September. It is still an old-fashioned affair complete with ox pulls, horse shows, horticultural exhibits, crafts displays, and entertainment. www.hantscountyex.com.
Pumpkin Festival. In early October this one-day festival that's part of a larger, region-wide celebration kicks off with a giant pumpkin weigh-in—some specimens tip the scales at more than 800 pounds. The event culminates in a regatta involving super-size pumpkins carved into boats that are raced across Lake Pizzquid. Windsor, NS. www.worldsbiggestpumpkins.com.
Windsor at a Glance
Elsewhere in South Shore and Annapolis Valley
- Annapolis Royal
- Kejimkujik National Park and Historic Site
- Long Island and Brier Island
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe