St. Mary's Church (Église Ste-Marie)
St. Mary's Church (Église Ste-Marie) Review
St. Mary's Church (Église Ste-Marie), the église for which this village is named, stands proudly on the main road overshadowing everything around it. That's hardly surprising given that it is the largest wooden church in North America. Completed in 1905, St. Mary's is 58 meters (190 feet) long by 56 meters (185 feet) high, and the steeple, which requires 40 tons of rock ballast to keep it steady when ocean winds blow, can be seen for miles. The church is a registered museum with a stunning interior, two exhibit rooms housing a collection of vestments, and a souvenir shop that sells religious articles. Bilingual guides give tours regularly in summer, and off-season by appointment.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $132 & up -- Toronto 4-Star Hotel: Stay 2, Get 3rd Free The Westin Harbour Castle
- $120 & up -- Toronto Hotel in Spring, Stay 3 nights, 20% off Novotel Toronto North York
- $156 -- Calgary 4-Diamond Summer Stay on Weekends, $120 Off — $156 Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire
Seems silly writing about Halifax since I literally live 2 hours away but also work in the city during the week. Read more
Many thanks to the various Fodorites who gave comprehensive and generous advice throughout our planning for this month long road trip.
We are two Aussies who have visited western Canada previously and Read more
Canadian SIM card options (in Nova Scotia)?
I am going to be traveling in Canada this summer, and need a Canadian SIM card. In the US, I have been using TMOBILE prepay, and it's quite expensive, imo. Read more
· News & Features
Montenegro is heating up, and for good reason.... Read more
You're all ready to go to Disney—the kids are packed, you've got good walking shoes.... Read more
Love 'em?... Read more