Brier Island Whale and Seabird Cruises. Of several operators of seasonal boat tours, this is best. On thrice-daily trips, from early June until mid-October, you travel out of Westport with researchers who collect data for international organizations. The fare is C$50, a portion of which funds further research. The same company also offers adrenaline-fueled Zodiac excursions (C$59) five times daily from mid-May through mid-October. 223 Water St., Westport, NS, B0V1H0. 902/839–2995 or 800/656–3660. www.brierislandwhalewatch.com.
Mariner Cruises Whale & Seabird Tours. Narration by an onboard naturalist makes this operator's cruises (from 2½ to 4½ hours; C$49) a solid choice. Boats depart Westport daily from mid-June to mid-October. 325 Water St., Westport, NS. 902/839–2346 or 800/239–2189. www.novascotiawhalewatching.ca.
Ocean Explorations Whale Cruises. Tom Goodwin, a marine and wildlife biologist, conducts well-regarded trips (C$59) in fast-paced, open-top Zodiacs to view whales and other marine life. Hwy. 217, opposite old ferry wharf, Tiverton, NS, B0V 1G0. 902/839–2417 or 877/654–2341. www.oceanexplorations.ca.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's