South Shore and Annapolis Valley Travel Guide
Fodor's Nova Scotia & Atlantic Canada
Plan Your South Shore and Annapolis Valley Vacation
The South Shore is on the Atlantic side of the narrow Nova Scotia peninsula; the Annapolis Valley is on the Bay of Fundy side. Although they're less than an hour apart by car, the two seem like different worlds. The former, with its rocky coast, island-dotted bays, and historic fishing villages, has launched 1,000 ships—and 1,000 postcards. The latter is most notable for its fertile farmlands, vineyards, and orchards. Highway 103, Highway 3, and various secondary roads form the province's designated Lighthouse Route, which leads southwest from Halifax down the South Shore. It ends in Yarmouth, where the Evangeline Trail begins. This trail winds along St. Mary's Bay through a succession of Francophone communities collectively known as the Acadian Shore. The villages blend into one another for about 50 km (35 miles), each one, it seems, with its own wharf, fish plant, and Catholic church.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best South Shore and Annapolis Valley restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in South Shore and Annapolis Valley
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- $138 -- Downtown Halifax Hotel w/Breakfast & Dinner, 30% Off Homewood Suites by Hilton Halifax-Downtown
- $339 & up -- Canada & New England Cruises on Carnival Carnival Cruise Lines
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Hi guys, I live in Montreal and I want to drive all the way to New Brunswick & Nova Scotia in August to see the attractions. I have ... Read more
Hi All, My husband and I are planning to take a trip in the fall from Nova Scotia to Niagara Falls, Ontario by way of USA. What is ... Read more