Halifax Travel Guide
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Nova Scotia & Atlantic Canada
It was Halifax's natural harbor—the second largest in the world after Sydney, Australia's—that first drew the British here in 1749, and today most major sites are conveniently located either along it or on the Citadel-crowned hill overlooking it. That's good news for visitors because this city actually covers quite a bit of ground.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best Halifax restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in Halifax
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- $95.00 & up : 4-star hotels in Halifax Hotwire
- Save at 3-Star BEST WESTERN PLUS Chocolate Lake: $116 & Up in May Save with Expedia, $31/night less
- $12.95 & up : Midsize rentals in Halifax Hotwire
- $72.00 & up : 3.5-star hotels in Halifax — $72 Hotwire
- $11.95 & up : Compact rentals in Halifax — $12 Hotwire
Starting your walk at the Halifax Citadel National Historic Site is practical because, as the city's highest point, it puts you on a downhill... Read more
Nova Scotia ticks all necessary boxes for a truly unspoiled seaside escape—endless lobster traps,... Read more
Nova Scotia’s capital is a hip, harbor-hugging city and its 400,000 citizens know how to have some... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
· Travel Planner
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Seems silly writing about Halifax since I literally live 2 hours away but also work in the city during the week. Read more
Many thanks to the various Fodorites who gave comprehensive and generous advice throughout our planning for this month long road trip.
We are two Aussies who have visited western Canada previously and Read more