Sydney Mines Heritage Museum and Cape Breton Fossil Centre
Sydney Mines Heritage Museum and Cape Breton Fossil Centre Review
Two affiliated facilities across the harbor from Sydney proper chronicle the area's prehistoric and more recent pasts. The mines museum, which occupies a small converted train station, surveys area history but focuses on Sydney's coal-mining connection. Displays at the fossil center include 300-million-year-old specimens from the Sydney Coal Fields. The fossil center's curator leads two-hour fossil-hunting field trips, by reservation, on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 10 am; you'll need your own transportation to the trip's starting point.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's