- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Sports and the Outdoors
The Mabou Highlands mountain range has 14 nature trails, measuring over 35 km (21 mi) in total, which are maintained by the Cape Mabou Trail Club. Some of the latter follow old cart tracks that connected pioneer settlements. Gaelic-speaking immigrants from Scotland settled this region of plunging cliffs, isolated beaches, rising mountains, glens, meadows, and hardwood forests. Today it is so hauntingly quiet that you might halfway expect to meet the sidhe, the Scottish fairies, capering on the hillsides. Trail maps can be purchased from local retailers or online. Mabou, NS. www.trails.com/activity.aspx?area=12055.
West Mabou Beach Provincial Park. There is a 12-km (7.5-mi) network of hiking trails in this park. Little Mabou Rd., off Rte. 19, Mabou, NS, B0E 1X0.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $132 & up -- Toronto 4-Star Hotel: Stay 2, Get 3rd Free The Westin Harbour Castle
- $120 & up -- Toronto Hotel in Spring, Stay 3 nights, 20% off Novotel Toronto North York
- $156 -- Calgary 4-Diamond Summer Stay on Weekends, $120 Off — $156 Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire