- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Baddeck has enough down-to-earth amenities (grocery store etc.) to make it a service center, and enough charm to make it a tourist destination. The population is only about 1,000 residents but its larger than usual concentration of lodgings, restaurants, and shops attracts motorists who are ending (or starting) a Cabot Trail trek. Boaters also come to explore Bras d'Or Lake. The most competitive among them raise anchor during Regatta Week, Baddeck's main event, which begins the first Sunday in August at the Bras d'Or Yacht Club (902/295-2107 www.brasdoryachtclub.ca).
Baddeck at a Glance
- Alexander Graham Bell National Historic Site
- Bras d'Or Lakes and Watershed Interpretive Centre
- Highland Village Museum
Elsewhere in Cape Breton Island
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's