When to Go
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
When to Go
Seasons vary dramatically in Newfoundland and Labrador. Most tourists visit between June and September, when the bogs and meadows turn into a colorful riot of wildflowers and greenery and the province is alive with festivals, fairs, and concerts. Temperatures hover between 24°C (75°F) and 29°C (85°F). In spring, icebergs float down from the north, and in late spring, whales arrive to hunt for food along the coast, staying until August. Fall is also popular: the weather is usually fine, hills and meadows are loaded with berries, and the woods are alive with moose, caribou, partridge, and rabbits. In winter, ski hills attract downhillers and snowboarders, forest trails hum with snowmobiles and all-terrain vehicles taking anglers to lodges and lakes, and cross-country ski trails in provincial and national parks are oases of quiet.
This rocky island perched on the edge of the cold north Atlantic Ocean might be the only place in the world where you can have four seasons in one day and where the saying "If you don't like the weather out your front door, go look out the back door" rings true. St. John's is a weather champion in Canada. It holds the distinctions of being the foggiest, snowiest, wettest, windiest, and cloudiest of all major Canadian cities.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $227* & up -- Canada Sale Fares from Baltimore (One Way) Air Canada
- $275 -- Montreal: 4-Diamond Downtown Hotel over Pride Week W Montreal
- $155 -- Chic Toronto Hotel through June, Save 30% Novotel Toronto Centre
- $349 & up -- 5-Night Pacific Coast Cruise on Norwegian Norwegian Cruise Line
- $99 -- Ottawa Hotel This Summer incl. Breakfast, 40% Off — $99 Quality Hotel Downtown Ottawa