- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The province includes the island of Newfoundland and Labrador; the latter is on the mainland, bordering Québec. Most airlines fly in to the provincial capital of St. John's (not to be confused with the city of Saint John, in New Brunswick), on the Avalon Peninsula, making it the logical starting point for visitors to Newfoundland. Moving clockwise around the perimeter of the peninsula, you'll traverse the Cape Shore. Farther west, on the main island, is the Burin Peninsula, and to the north are the Bonavista Peninsula and Notre Dame Bay. On the west side of Newfoundland, the peninsula stretches up toward Labrador; Corner Brook, Newfoundland's second largest city, is a good starting point for exploring the mountains. In Newfoundland, you'll do much of your driving on Route 1, the Trans-Canada Highway, which goes east-west.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $135 -- Toronto 4-Diamond Stay w/Ticket to Any Toronto Event The Westin Harbour Castle, Toronto
- $204 & up -- 4-Star Toronto Hotel, Pay Birth Year for 2nd Nt Sheraton Centre Toronto
- $156 -- Calgary 4-Diamond Summer Stay on Weekends, $120 Off — $156 Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire