- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Cape Spear National Historic Site
Cape Spear National Historic Site Review
At the easternmost point of land on the continent, songbirds begin chirping in the dim light of dawn, and whales (in early summer) feed directly below the cliffs, providing an unforgettable start to the day. From April through July, you might see icebergs floating by. Cape Spear Lighthouse, Newfoundland's oldest such beacon, has been lovingly restored to its original form and furnishings. There's a small, well-stocked souvenir kiosk in the parking lot for those who don't want to or are unable to climb the path to the main gift shop.
- Address: Rte. 11, St. John's, NL
- Phone: 709/772-5367
- Cost: Site free, lighthouse $3.90, $6.30 for same-day access with Signal Hill
- Hours: Site daily dawn--dusk; lighthouse mid-May--mid-June, Wed.--Sun. 9--5; mid-June--Sept., daily 10--6; Sept.--mid-Oct., Wed.--Sun. 9--5. Visitor Interpretation Centre and Heritage Gift Shop mid-May--late June, daily 10--6; late June--mid-Oct, daily 8:30--8:30.
- Website: www.pc.gc.ca
- Location: St. John's
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $132 & up -- Toronto 4-Star Hotel: Stay 2, Get 3rd Free The Westin Harbour Castle
- $156 -- Calgary 4-Diamond Summer Stay on Weekends, $120 Off Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire
I am trying organize a boating trip for our family of five. Read more
From time to time questions about viewing the Northern Lights are posted on this forum. Read more
Canadian SIM card options (in Nova Scotia)?
I am going to be traveling in Canada this summer, and need a Canadian SIM card. In the US, I have been using TMOBILE prepay, and it's quite expensive, imo. Read more
· News & Features
Montenegro is heating up, and for good reason.... Read more
You're all ready to go to Disney—the kids are packed, you've got good walking shoes.... Read more
Love 'em?... Read more