- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Metro Moncton is the second largest city in Atlantic Canada, after Halifax, Nova Scotia, and it's an attractive, friendly city, with several family-friendly attractions. Moncton has embraced the broadband economy and offers free Wi-Fi throughout the downtown area at any location, inside or out, as well as several other "hot spots." There's generally a lot going on here, and Moncton is known as party central because of the mammoth outdoor concerts held each summer at Magnetic Hill (the Rolling Stones attracted 90,000 fans), not to mention the city's ongoing calendar of festivals throughout the year.
A friendly, lively place, it's often called the Gateway to Acadia because of its mix of English and French and its proximity to the Acadian shore, though it also has a large Irish population and a growing Korean community. Moncton has a renovated downtown with unique shops and restaurants and such beautiful flowers that it has won national "Communities in Bloom" awards.
This city has long touted two natural attractions: the Tidal Bore and the Magnetic Hill, though you might be disappointed if you've read too much about either of them.
Moncton at a Glance
- Aberdeen Cultural Centre
- Acadian Museum
- Crystal Palace
- Lutz Mountain Heritage Museum
- Magic Mountain Water Park
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in New Brunswick
- Campobello Island
- Cape Enrage
- Deer Island
- Dorchester and Memramcook
- Fundy National Park
- Grand Falls
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $204 & up -- 4-Star Toronto Hotel, Pay Birth Year for 2nd Nt Sheraton Centre Toronto
- $132 & up -- Toronto 4-Star Hotel: Stay 2, Get 3rd Free The Westin Harbour Castle
- $156 -- Calgary 4-Diamond Summer Stay on Weekends, $120 Off — $156 Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire