- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Just a few miles north of the U.S. border, Pender is actually two islands: North Pender and South Pender, divided by a canal and linked by a one-lane bridge. Most of the population of about 2,000 cluster on North Pender, whereas South Pender is largely forested and undeveloped. The Penders are blessed with beaches, boasting more than 30 public beach-access points.
There's no town on either island, but you can find groceries, a bakery, gas, a bank, pharmacy, and liquor store at North Pender's Driftwood Centre. A farmers' market runs on summer Saturdays at Pender Island Community Hall and crafts shops, studios, and galleries are open throughout the islands.
Pender Island at a Glance
Elsewhere in Victoria and Vancouver Island
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's