Scuba Diving in Victoria and Vancouver Island
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The waters off Vancouver Island have some of the best scuba diving in the world, with clear waters and rich marine life; visibility is best in winter. The Ogden Point Breakwater and Race Rocks Underwater Marine Park are popular spots close to town. In Brentwood Bay on the Saanich Peninsula are the Glass Sponge Gardens, a sea mountain covered with sponges that were thought to be extinct. Off Thetis Island, near Chemainus, divers can explore a sunken 737 jetliner. Dive BC (www.dive.bc.ca) has details.
Ogden Point Dive Centre. Guided dives, weekend charters, and a water-view café are all available at this PADI-certified dive center at the Ogden Point Breakwater near downtown Victoria. 199 Dallas Rd., Downtown, Victoria, BC, V8V 1A1. 250/380–9119 or 888/701–1177. www.divevictoria.com.
Rockfish Divers. Based on the Saanich Peninsula, this internationally accredited PADI dive outfitter offers charters, courses, and equipment rentals. Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa, 849 Verdier Ave., Brentwood Bay, BC, V8M 1C5. 250/889–7282 or 888/544–2079. www.rockfishdivers.com.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's