Scuba Diving in Victoria and Vancouver Island
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The waters off Vancouver Island have some of the best scuba diving in the world, with clear waters and rich marine life; visibility is best in winter. The Ogden Point Breakwater and Race Rocks Underwater Marine Park are popular spots close to town. In Brentwood Bay on the Saanich Peninsula are the Glass Sponge Gardens, a sea mountain covered with sponges that were thought to be extinct. Off Thetis Island, near Chemainus, in the Cowichan Valley, divers can explore a sunken 737 jetliner. Dive BC (www.divebc.ca) has details.
Ogden Point Dive Centre. Guided dives, weekend charters, and a water-view café are all available at this PADI-certified dive center at the Ogden Point Breakwater near downtown Victoria. 199 Dallas Rd., Downtown, Victoria, BC, V8V 1A1. 250/380-9119 or 888/701-1177. www.divevictoria.com.
Rockfish Divers. Based on the Saanich Peninsula, this internationally accredited PADI dive outfitter offers charters, courses, and equipment rentals. Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa, 849 Verdier Ave., Brentwood Bay, BC, V8M 1C5. 250/889-7282 or 888/544-2079. www.rockfishdivers.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Victoria Fr $215+/Nt Expedia
- Book in Victoria: Save at the Victoria Regent in May Fr $350+/Nt Save with Expedia, $144/night less
- $28.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Victoria Hotwire
- Super 8 Victoria in May: $87 & Up — $87 Expedia
- $25.95 & up : Compact rentals in Victoria — $26 Hotwire