- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Amtrak has service from Seattle to Vancouver, providing connections between Amtrak's U.S.-wide network and VIA Rail's Canadian routes. VIA Rail Canada provides transcontinental rail service. In B.C. VIA Rail has three routes: Victoria to Courtenay on Vancouver Island, Vancouver to Jasper, and Jasper to Prince Rupert with an overnight stop in Prince George. Rocky Mountaineer Vacations operates a variety of spectacular all-daylight rail trips between the Canadian Rockies and the west coast as well as the Whistler Mountaineer between North Vancouver and Whistler. All trains are no-smoking.
If you're planning to travel much by train, look into the Canrail pass. It allows 12 days of coach-class travel within a 30-day period; sleeping cars are available, but they sell out early and must be reserved at least a month in advance during the high season (June through mid-October), when the pass is C$923. Low-season rates (October 16 through May) are C$576. For more information and reservations, contact VIA Rail, or a travel agent in the United States or Canada.
All the train services accept major credit cards, traveler's checks, and cash. VIA Rail will accept U.S. and Canadian currency.
Reservations are essential on the Rocky Mountaineer and highly recommended on Amtrak and VIA routes. There's no extra charge for reservations on any of the train services listed.
Amtrak (800/872-7245. www.amtrak.com.)
Rocky Mountaineer Vacations (604/606-7245. www.rockymountaineer.com.)
VIA Rail Canada (888/842-7245. www.viarail.ca.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $227* & up -- Canada Sale Fares from Baltimore (One Way) Air Canada
- $349 & up -- 5-Night Pacific Coast Cruise on Norwegian Norwegian Cruise Line
- $239* & up -- Canada Sale Fares from Cleveland (One Way) — $239 Air Canada
- $649 & up -- 7-Night New England Cruise on Holland America — $649 American Express Travel
- $227* & up -- Canada Sale Fares from Nashville (One Way) — $227 Air Canada