Nightlife & the Arts in Vancouver
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
With easy access to the sea and mountains, it's no surprise that Vancouver is such an outdoorsy town, but once the sun goes down, the city's dwellers trade in their kayaks, hiking shoes, and North Face windbreakers for something decidedly more chic.
There's plenty to choose from in just about every neighborhood: hipster Gastown has caught up with Yaletown for clusters of late-night establishments and is now the place to go for racy clubs and trendy wine bars, with venues in the newly cool Chinatown giving them some good competition. The West End—that's Denman, Davie (gay-friendly), and Robson streets—is all about bumpin' and grindin' in retro bars and clubs, while a posh crowd of after-work professionals and glitterati flocks to Coal Harbour's chic bars and stylish lounges. Meanwhile, Kitsilano (the Venice Beach of Vancouver) attracts a laid-back bunch that enjoys sipping beer and cocktails on outdoor patios with killer views, especially in the summer. The up-and-coming SoMa neighborhood is where you'll rub shoulders with youthful working folk as you knock back a lager and listen to live jams of emerging Canadian musicians. With its fair share of galleries, film festivals, cutting-edge theater, comedy, opera, and ballet, Vancouver (aka Hollywood North) also has all manner of cultural stimuli available for the asking.
Browse Vancouver Nightlife
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's