- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Kebabs and Persian Food in Vancouver
Among the many ethnic groups that have settled in greater Vancouver is a large Persian community, centered on the North Shore. Wander along North Vancouver's Lonsdale Avenue between 13th and 19th streets, and you can catch glimpses of Persian culture—and sample Persian tastes.
Yaas Bazaar. Part grocery store and part cafeteria, the good-value Yaas Bazaar lets you can pick up olives, feta cheese, and chewy sesame-topped breads for a picnic. You can also lunch on savory kebabs, stews, or one of the daily specials. 1860 Lonsdale Ave., North Vancouver, BC, V7M 2J9. 604/990–9006. www.yaas.ca.
Golestan. Looking for sweets? Head to this bakery, where the Persian pastries include rosewater-scented baklava. 1554 Lonsdale Ave., North Vancouver, BC, V7M 2J3. 604/990–7767.
Ayoub's Dried Fruits and Nuts. At Ayoub's Dried Fruits and Nuts, the freshly roasted pistachios, almonds, and watermelon seeds make excellent snacks. 1332 Lonsdale Ave., North Vancouver, BC, V7M 2H8. 604/982–9682. www.ayoubsdriedfruitsandnuts.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe