Getting Here and Around
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
The main airport for the Okanagan wine country is in Kelowna. There's also a small airport in Penticton.
Air Canada and WestJet both fly into Kelowna from Vancouver. From Vancouver, Air Canada also serves Penticton; flights take about one hour.
Taxis generally meet arriving flights at the Kelowna Airport.
Okanagan Shuttle provides transportation from the Kelowna Airport to local hotels for C$15 per person. They also shuttle passengers from Kelowna's airport to several of the local ski areas: Big White (C$55/C$75 one way/round-trip), Silver Star (C$60/C$80 one way/round-trip), and Apex Mountain (C$70/C$100 one way/round-trip).
Greyhound Canada runs buses from Vancouver to Kelowna and Penticton, with connections to smaller Okanagan towns. The Kelowna Regional Transit System operates buses in the greater Kelowna area.
To get to the Okanagan by car from Vancouver, head east on Highway 1 (Trans-Canada Highway). Just east of Hope, several routes diverge. For Oliver or Osoyoos in the South Okanagan, take Highway 3 east. For the Kelowna area, the fastest route is Highway 5 (the Coquihalla toll road) north to Merritt, then follow Highway 97C (the Okanagan Connector) toward Kelowna. To reach Penticton and Naramata, you can either take the Coquihalla to 97C, then turn south on Highway 97, or take Highway 3 to Keremeos, where you pick up Highway 3A north, which merges into 97 north. Allow about five hours' driving time from Vancouver to the Okanagan region.
Several major agencies, including Avis, Budget, Enterprise, Hertz, and National have offices in Kelowna.
Greyhound Canada. 800/661-8747. www.greyhound.ca.
Kelowna Regional Transit System. 250/860-8121. www.bctransit.com/regions/kel.
Okanagan Airport Shuttle. 250/542-7574 or. www.okanaganairportshuttle.com.
WestJet Airlines. 888/937-8538. www.westjet.com.
Big White Shuttle. 800/663-2772.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $132 & up -- Toronto 4-Star Hotel: Stay 2, Get 3rd Free The Westin Harbour Castle
- $120 & up -- Toronto Hotel in Spring, Stay 3 nights, 20% off Novotel Toronto North York
- $156 -- Calgary 4-Diamond Summer Stay on Weekends, $120 Off — $156 Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire