Waterton Lakes National Park Travel Guide
Plan Your Waterton Lakes National Park Vacation
OverviewThe mountains at Waterton Lakes National Park, near the southern end of the Canadian Rockies, seem a bit friendlier than those in the other national parks, not quite so high, not quite so rugged. A World Heritage Site, Waterton is the meeting of two worlds: the flatlands of the prairie and the abrupt upthrust of the mountains. In this juncture of worlds, the park squeezes into a relatively small area (525 square km or 200 square miles) an unusual mix of wildlife, flora, and climate zones. The townsite of Waterton Park is a decidedly low-key community in roughly the geographical center of the park. In summer it swells with tourists, and the restaurants and shops open to serve them. In winter only a few motels are open, and services are largely geared to meet the needs of the several hundred residents.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best Waterton Lakes National Park restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in Waterton Lakes National Park
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Finally got to take our long-awaited trip to Banff and Jasper, after having to cancel our original plans in June (right during the flooding.) I will try to be brief and cover just the highlights.
Who: Read more
- Booked a regional jet from SFO to Calgary through United, which is run by SkyWest. Read more
We're a 2 adult, 2 kid (boy 6, girl 3) Canadian (GTA) family wanting to camp (tent trailer) west to BC to visit friends. Read more