In a log cabin near the confluence of the Athabasca and Miette rivers, this restaurant has a charming rustic feel, but don't let the simple architecture fool you—the cuisine is some of the finest in the Canadian Rockies. Chef David Husereau sources local ingredients and does his own baking, smoking, and curing. Try the trio of wild sockeye salmon appetizer and you'll be able to taste the difference and see it—the presentation is wonderful. Other specialties include the peppered beef tenderloin with forest mushrooms and angel hair pasta, macadamia-crusted rack of lamb with crispy truffle mashed potato, and the duck prepared two ways. An excellent gluten-free menu is available. Hot chocolate soufflé with homemade vanilla ice cream is the house specialty, but if you have trouble selecting a dessert, try sharing the sampler plate. They also have an extensive martini list.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Finally got to take our long-awaited trip to Banff and Jasper, after having to cancel our original plans in June (right during the flooding.) I will try to be brief and cover just the highlights.
Who: Read more
- Booked a regional jet from SFO to Calgary through United, which is run by SkyWest. Read more
I am travelling to Banff for the first time in January 2015 as a couple (both 21) we plan on staying for 10 nights and skiing for 7 days while we are there. Read more
· News & Features
In our inaugural Ask Fodor's column, one of our editors editor gives advice on how to travel by rail... Read more
Pack light and still look great on your next camping trip with these 10 low-maintenance beauty products.... Read more
Castles, lakeside resorts, bang-for-your-buck Hawaii finds, and dazzling hotel gardens—it's... Read more