Maligne Lake Review
The remarkably blue, 22-km-long (14-mi-long) Maligne Lake is one of the largest glacier-fed lakes in the world. The first outsider known to visit the lake was Henry MacLeod, a surveyor looking for a possible route for the Canadian Pacific Railway, in 1875. A couple of day hikes (approximately four hours round-trip), with some steep sections, lead to alpine meadows that have panoramic views of the lake and the surrounding mountain ranges. You can also take horseback-riding and fishing trips, and there's an excellent cafeteria.
Maligne Tours. You can explore the lake in a rented canoe or on a 1½-hour scenic cruise with Maligne Tours. 627 Patricia St., Jasper, T0E 1E0. 780/852-3370 or 780/852-4803. www.malignelake.com. C$55. June and Sept.-early Oct., daily 10-4; July and Aug., daily 10-5.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $227* & up -- Canada Sale Fares from Baltimore (One Way) Air Canada
- $649 & up -- 7-Night New England Cruise on Holland America American Express Travel
The Canadian Rockies had been high on my list for years, and I could hardly believe my good luck when I was invited to present a workshop there in conjunction with the Canmore Folk Festival. Read more
This is about travel to Canmore and Banff, but the primary purpose of the trip was skiing, so apologies to those not interested in the ski specific comments below:
Several years ago, DD3 broke a bone Read more
I am in a dilema and need some sensible comments about our trip this summer to Vancouver. Read more
· News & Features
You've heard of Lake Como (thanks to George's exploits), but halfway between Milan and Venice lies Italy's ... Read more
Need we say more?... Read more
On the tip of Mexico's Baja Peninsula, sun-drenched Los Cabos draws in everyone from honeymooners and... Read more