Maligne Lake Review
The remarkably blue, 22-km-long (14-mile-long) Maligne Lake is one of the largest glacier-fed lakes in the world. The first outsider known to visit the lake was Henry MacLeod, a surveyor looking for a possible route for the Canadian Pacific Railway, in 1875. A couple of day hikes (approximately four hours round-trip), with some steep sections, lead to alpine meadows that have panoramic views of the lake and the surrounding mountain ranges. You can also take horseback-riding and fishing trips, and there's an excellent cafeteria.
Maligne Tours. You can explore Maligne Lake in a rented canoe or on a 1½-hour scenic cruise with Maligne Tours. The Family of Explorers Cruise includes special onboard activities for kids, snacks, and a nature-based scavenger hunt at the island. Afternoon tea can be enjoyed at the historic Maligne Lake Chalet. 627 Patricia St., Jasper, T0E 1E0. 780/852–3370 or 780/852–4803. www.malignelake.com. C$62. June and Sept.–early Oct., daily 10–4; July and Aug., daily 10–5.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Finally got to take our long-awaited trip to Banff and Jasper, after having to cancel our original plans in June (right during the flooding.) I will try to be brief and cover just the highlights.
Who: Read more
- Booked a regional jet from SFO to Calgary through United, which is run by SkyWest. Read more
We're a 2 adult, 2 kid (boy 6, girl 3) Canadian (GTA) family wanting to camp (tent trailer) west to BC to visit friends. Read more
· News & Features
Stunning beaches, tantalizing food, and veritable vino—we're all about epicurean excellence... Read more
Nassau is an easily accessible, fun-packed destination for adults and kids alike.... Read more