When to Go
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
When to Go
From June through September you're likely to encounter more festivals and the greatest number of open lodgings (some close seasonally). Spring and fall months offer a more tranquil experience for travelers, and September can be particularly rewarding, with a combination of warm weather and some autumn foliage. Although winter can be cold, it's also a magical time to visit, with plenty of fluffy white snow and clear starry night skies that provide good views of the northern lights—visible from mid-August to early April. Winter is also ideal for outdoor sports like skiing, pond skating, or dogsledding.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $156 -- Calgary 4-Diamond Summer Stay on Weekends, $120 Off Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire