The fort was established in 1875 at the confluence of the Bow and Elbow rivers by the North West Mounted Police. Designed to stop Montana whiskey traders from selling alcohol to the locals, it remained in operation until 1914. The Interpretive Centre here traces the history of the First Nations people, Mounties, and European settlers with the aid of artifacts, audiovisual displays, and interpretive walks. Deane House Restaurant, next to Fort Calgary, is a nice place to stop for lunch. It's the restored 1906 fort superintendent's house. The Hunt House, directly behind the restaurant, was built in 1876 and is believed to be Calgary's oldest building.