- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Dinosaur Provincial Park
Dinosaur Provincial Park Review
190 km (118 mi) south of Drumheller, 240 km (149 mi) southeast of Calgary.
Dinosaur Provincial Park encompasses 73 square km (28 square mi) of Canada's greatest badlands, as well as prairie and riverside habitats. A United Nations World Heritage Site, the park contains some of the world's richest fossil beds—dating as far back as 75 million years—including many kinds of dinosaurs. Much of the area is a nature preserve with restricted public access. Self-guided trails weave through different habitats, and a public loop road leads to two outdoor fossil displays. The Royal Tyrrell Museum Field Station has ongoing fossil excavations. Interpretive programs run daily from mid-May to early September and weekends until mid-October, but many require tickets; call for reservations. You should allow at least two full days for an in-depth experience. The campground has a food-service center. To get here from Drumheller, take Route 56 to the Trans-Canada Highway (Highway 1) east, go north at Brooks on Route 873 and then east on Route 544, and follow the signs.
- Address: Rte. 544, Patricia, AB | Map It
- Phone: 403/378–4342; 403/378–4344 for interpretive-hike reservations; 403/378–3700 for campground reservations
- Cost: Park free, C$3 field station, C$8 hikes and bus tours
- Hours: Field station: mid-May–Aug., daily 8:30 am–9 pm; Sept.–mid-Oct., daily 9–4; mid-Oct–mid-May, weekdays 9–4
- Website: www.cd.gov.ab.ca
- Location: Dinosaur Provincial Park
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Finally got to take our long-awaited trip to Banff and Jasper, after having to cancel our original plans in June (right during the flooding.) I will try to be brief and cover just the highlights.
Who: Read more
- Booked a regional jet from SFO to Calgary through United, which is run by SkyWest. Read more
We're a 2 adult, 2 kid (boy 6, girl 3) Canadian (GTA) family wanting to camp (tent trailer) west to BC to visit friends. Read more
· News & Features
For a lover of brews, there's no place quite like New Zealand. ... Read more
Phu Quoc, a fishing island in the Gulf of Thailand, is a quiet refuge of serene beaches, phenomenal seafood,... Read more
Travel is as much about the journey as the destination.... Read more