- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Royal Tyrrell Museum of Paleontology
Royal Tyrrell Museum of Paleontology Review
20 km (12 mi) east of Calgary on Trans-Canada Hwy. 1, then 120 km (74 mi) north on Rte. 9, then 6 km (4 mi) northwest on Hwy 838.
The road to Drumheller and the Royal Tyrell Museum is well marked and takes you through the vast flat Canadian prairie. Once a coal-mining area, Drumheller's major industry today is dinosaurs. The museum is in Midland Provincial Park and holds one of the world's largest collections of complete dinosaur skeletons with more than 40 full-size animals. The barren lunar terrain of stark badlands and eerie hoodoos that surround the area seem an ideal setting for the dinosaurs that stalked the countryside 75 million years ago; but in fact, when the dinosaurs were here, the area had a semitropical climate and marshlands not unlike those of the Florida Everglades. You can participate in hands-on museum exhibits and meet the first dinosaur discovered here: Albertosaurus, a smaller version of Tyrannosaurus Rex, or travel the 48-km (30-mi) Dinosaur Trail through the Red Deer Valley and surrounding badlands.
- Address: Hwy. 838, 6 km (4 mi) northwest of Drumheller, Drumheller, AB | Map It
- Phone: 403/823–7707; 888/440–4240
- Cost: C$10
- Hours: Mid-May–early Sept., daily 9–9; early Sept.–early Oct., daily 10–5; early-Oct.–mid-May, Tues.–Sun. 10–5
- Website: www.tyrrellmuseum.com
- Location: Drumheller
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Finally got to take our long-awaited trip to Banff and Jasper, after having to cancel our original plans in June (right during the flooding.) I will try to be brief and cover just the highlights.
Who: Read more
- Booked a regional jet from SFO to Calgary through United, which is run by SkyWest. Read more
Hello, I am moving to Alaska in April from Texas and I am setting out on a 5,000 mile road trip to get to Cooper Landing, AK by April 26th. Read more
· News & Features
For ample beach time, minus the party scene, Cabo San Lucas is a bustling enclave with a marina, lots ... Read more
Author, conservationist, and TED Talk speaker Boyd Varty shares eight top places to visit in his native... Read more
This unattributed travel quote tells us why splurging on a trip is totally worth it.... Read more