Rodeo in Calgary
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
For 10 days each July, rodeo events and chuck-wagon races draw the world's top cowboys and plenty of greenhorns to one of Canada's most popular events, the Calgary Stampede, held in Stampede Park. In addition to rodeo events, there are livestock shows, concerts, and high-spirited Western-style entertainment. You should make room and ticket reservations well in advance (at least three months) if you plan to attend. 800/661-1260. www.calgarystampede.com.
Canada Olympic Park has downhill skiing, a luge track, and snowboarding, on-site rentals, and first-class instruction. The ski hill has a racing section, a casual ski area, and an exceptionally good terrain park. A total of six lifts service the hill, including a high-speed chair lift. 88 Olympic Rd., Calgary, AB. 403/247-5452. www.canadaolympicpark.ca.
Nakiska is less than an hour's drive west of Calgary. The resort has skiing and snowboarding with a sophisticated snowmaking system. There are four lifts. Off Hwy. 40, Kananaskis Village, AB. 403/591-7777. www.skinakiska.com.
University of Calgary Outdoor Centre rents out more than 10,000 different items, from ski and snowboarding equipment in winter to bikes and camping equipment in summer. 2500 University Dr. NW, University Heights, Calgary, AB. 403/220-5038. www.calgaryoutdoorcentre.ca.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $156 -- Calgary 4-Diamond Summer Stay on Weekends, $120 Off Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire