Rodeo in Calgary
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
For 10 days each July, rodeo events and chuck-wagon races draw the world's top cowboys and plenty of greenhorns to one of Canada's most popular events, the Calgary Stampede, held in Stampede Park. In addition to rodeo events, there are livestock shows, concerts, and high-spirited Western-style entertainment. You should make room and ticket reservations well in advance (at least three months) if you plan to attend. 800/661-1260. www.calgarystampede.com.
Canada Olympic Park has downhill skiing, a luge track, and snowboarding, on-site rentals, and first-class instruction. The ski hill has a racing section, a casual ski area, and an exceptionally good terrain park. A total of six lifts service the hill, including a high-speed chair lift. 88 Olympic Rd., Calgary, AB. 403/247-5452. www.canadaolympicpark.ca.
Nakiska is less than an hour's drive west of Calgary. The resort has skiing and snowboarding with a sophisticated snowmaking system. There are four lifts. Off Hwy. 40, Kananaskis Village, AB. 403/591-7777. www.skinakiska.com.
University of Calgary Outdoor Centre rents out more than 10,000 different items, from ski and snowboarding equipment in winter to bikes and camping equipment in summer. 2500 University Dr. NW, University Heights, Calgary, AB. 403/220-5038. www.calgaryoutdoorcentre.ca.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's