- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Both visitor information centers are fully accessible and many of the campgrounds are also wheelchair accessible. There are also several trails in the park that are wheelchair accessible and Banff Transit operates one fully accessible shuttle. To find out specifics on accessible campgrounds and trails, call the information center at 403/762-1550.
Admission Fees and Permits
A park entrance pass is C$9.80 per person or C$19.60 maximum per vehicle per day. An annual pass will cost C$67.70 per adult or C$136.40 per family or group. Larger buses and vans pay a group commercial rate. If you're planning to stay a week or more, your best bet is an annual pass.
Permits are required for backcountry camping and some other activities in the park. Backcountry camping permits ($9.80 per day), fire permits ($8.80 per day), dumping station permits ($8.80 per day), and fishing permits ($9.80 per day) are available at the park visitor information center or at some campgrounds. In some cases a fire permit is included in your camping fees. Be sure to check with campground staff.
The park is open 24/7 year-round. It's in the mountain time zone.
There are at least a dozen ATMs in Banff Townsite. The Bank of Montreal, Bow Valley Credit Union, and Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC) operate full-service branches in Banff.
Automobile Service Stations
You can buy propane in Lake Louise, but not in Banff. There are two gas stations in Lake Louise and five in Banff. There are also several companies that offer automobile repair service. The Petro-Canada station in Banff is a full-service station with gas sales and automotive repairs.
Cell-phone service in the park is sometimes unpredictable. Public telephones can be found at the information centers, at most hotels and bars, and at several key spots around the townsite of Banff and the village of Lake Louise.
Shops and Grocers
Park Contact Information
Banff National Park (P.O. Box 900, Banff, AB, T1L 1K2. 403/762-1550. www.pc.gc.ca/banff.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $109.00 & up : 3.5-star hotels in Banff Hotwire
- Banff Savings! Book at Banff Rocky Mountain Fr $393+/Nt Save with Expedia, $118/night less
- Banff 3.5-Star Hotel Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $782 Expedia
- $194 & Up: Cheap Banff Stay — $194 Save with Hotels.com, $64/night less
- Banff Ptarmigan Inn Biggest Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $968 — $968 Expedia