- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Banff Gondola Review
Views during the steep eight-minute ride to and from the 7,500-foot summit of Sulphur Mountain are spectacular in the enclosed four-person gondolas. From the upper gondola terminal you can hike the short distance to the true summit of Sulphur Mountain on the South East Ridge Trail and perhaps catch sight of grazing bighorn sheep, or visit the gift shop or the reasonably priced restaurant. Be sure to walk the easy 1-km (0.6-mile) skywalk to the Sanson's Peak Meteorological Station for excellent views and to break away from the crowds. Norman Bethune Sanson hiked up to this station more than 1,000 times during his life to record the weather. The gondola is south from the center of Banff; you can catch a Roam public transit bus. This is a very popular activity—go early or late to avoid crowds.
- Address: Mountain Ave., 3 km (2 miles) south of downtown, Banff, AB T1L 1B2 | Map It
- Phone: 403/762–5438; 403/762–2523
- Cost: C$34.95 round-trip
- Hours: Late May–late Aug., daily 8 am–9 pm; late Aug.–mid-Oct., daily 8–8; mid-Oct.–early Nov., daily 8:30–4:30; early Nov.–early Dec, daily 10–6
- Website: www.banffgondola.com
- Location: Banff National Park
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Finally got to take our long-awaited trip to Banff and Jasper, after having to cancel our original plans in June (right during the flooding.) I will try to be brief and cover just the highlights.
Who: Read more
- Booked a regional jet from SFO to Calgary through United, which is run by SkyWest. Read more
We're a 2 adult, 2 kid (boy 6, girl 3) Canadian (GTA) family wanting to camp (tent trailer) west to BC to visit friends. Read more
· News & Features
For a lover of brews, there's no place quite like New Zealand.... Read more
Travel is as much about the journey as the destination.... Read more