Fishing in Banff National Park
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
You can experience world-class trout fishing on the Bow River in Banff and enjoy fishing for trophy lake trout on Lake Minnewanka and several other mountain lakes. You will need a National Park fishing permit to fish within the park and must follow strict fishing regulations, including no use of live bait. Some waterways are permanently closed to anglers, while others are open only at certain times per year. Before heading out on your own, read the regulations or speak to the park staff.
Outfitters and Expeditions
Alpine Anglers. Alpine Anglers is a full-service fly shop with spin- and fly-rod rentals, float trips, and a fly-fishing guide service. Choose from full-day or multiday guided trout-fishing trips. 208 Bear St., Banff, AB, T1L 1C2. 403/762-8223 or 877/740-8222. www.alpineanglers.com.
Banff Fishing Unlimited. A wide variety of fishing experiences from trolling for trophy lake trout to fly-fishing on the Bow River are available from the experienced guides at Banff Fishing Unlimited. In the winter, the outfitter also offers ice-fishing excursions. P.O. Box 8281, Canmore, AB, T1W 2V1. 403/762-4936 or 866/678-2486. www.banff-fishing.com.
Hawgwild Fly Fishing Guides. Learn how to fly-fish with a local guide by signing up with Hawgwild Fly Fishing Guides. P.O. Box 2534, Banff, AB, T1L 1C3. 403/760-2446. www.flyfishingbanff.com.
Tightline Adventures. Daylong and multiday fly-fishing trips can be arranged through Tightline Adventures. 129 Banff Ave., Banff, AB, T1L 1E2. 403/762-4548 or 1-800/644-8888. www.tightlineadventures.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $227* & up -- Canada Sale Fares from Baltimore (One Way) Air Canada
- $649 & up -- 7-Night New England Cruise on Holland America American Express Travel