- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Getting Here and Around
It usually takes two hours to drive to San Lorenzo from Panama City and 40 minutes from Colón, if it doesn't take too long to cross the Gatún Locks. Follow directions for Colón, but turn left at the Centro Comercial Cuatro Altos, 8 km (5 miles) before Colón, and follow the signs to Esclusas de Gatún. After crossing the locks, veer right and drive 12 km (7 miles) to Fort Sherman. Turn left onto a dirt road after the entrance to Fort Sherman and drive another 11 km (6 miles) to the fort. The Achiote Road is reached by turning left after crossing the locks and driving 12 km (7 miles)—over the Gatún Dam—to the second road on the right. The town of Achiote is 10 km (6 miles) up that dirt road.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's