- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Soberanía has world-class bird-watching, especially from November to April, when the northern migrants boost the local population. Unless you're an expert, though, you're really better off joining a tour or hiring a guide through one of Panama City's nature-tour operators. Guests at the Canopy Tower enjoy almost nonstop birding and tours led by the lodge's resident guides.
Advantage Panama. Advantage Panama has a day trip to Soberanía that combines a forest hike with a boat trip on Gatún Lake. 507/6676–2466. www.advantagepanama.com.
Ancon Expeditions. This company has excellent guides that can take you bird-watching on Pipeline Road, or on Gatún Lake. They also have a tour that combines a hike through Soberanía National Park with boat trip on the Chagres River. 269–9415. www.anconexpeditions.com.
Eco Circuitos Panama. A Soberanía birding tour is offered that starts with a hike and ends with a boat trip, birding on the Pipeline Road, a hiking tour on the Camino de Curces trails, and a tour to Barro Colorado Island. 507/315–0315. www.ecocircuitos.com.
Pesantez Tours. Pesantez Tours runs a half-day tour to Soberanía. 507/366–9100. www.pesantez-tours.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe