- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Getting Here and Around
The easiest way to get to Colón from Panama City is to take the Panama Canal Railway commuter train that departs from Panama City at 7:15 am and returns at 5:15 pm. If you start your railway journey in Colón, you will need to purchase tickets from the conductor. Buses depart from Panama City's Albrook Terminal de Buses every 20 minutes, and the trip takes 90 minutes to two hours. Get directly into a taxi upon arrival at either the train or bus station; both are in unsafe neighborhoods. Take only licensed taxis in Colón—the license plate and number on the door should match. Robberies have been committed by unofficial cabbies. You can rent a car at the Colón 2000 cruise center. A spiffy, four-lane toll highway opened in 2009 and puts Colón less than an hour from Panama City. Take the Avenida Omar Torrijo to the Autopista Alfredo Motta. If you are headed for the Gatún Locks, or San Lorenzo, turn left at the Centro Comercial Cuatro Altos, about 8 km (5 miles) before Colón, and follow the signs to and Esclusas de Gatún.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $985 & up -- Panama: 7-Nt. City, Jungle & Beach Tour w/Air LatinEscapes.com