This large plaza a block off the Avenida Central is surrounded by some lovely old buildings, several of which have been renovated, or are in the process of renovation. At the center of the plaza is a statue of local hero General Tomás Herrera, looking rather regal on horseback. Herrera fought in South America's wars for independence from Spain and later led Panama's first attempt to gain independence from Colombia, in 1840. Half a block west of it stands the last remaining
chunk of the ancient wall that once enclosed the Casco Viejo, called the Baluarte de la Mano de Tigre (Tiger's Hand Bulwark), beyond which the neighborhood grows increasingly sketchty.
Av. A and Calle 9, Panama City, Panama