- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Fodor's In Focus Panama
At a Glance
- surrounded by nature
- friendly, helpful staff
- far from restaurants and nightlife
- rooms small and very basic
Check Rates from our Partners
La Estancia Review
One of the city's best bed-and-breakfasts, La Estancia is the perfect spot for nature lovers, because it sits at the edge of the rain forest high on Ancón Hill (Cerro Ancón). The breakfast area and common lounges include long balconies that overlook a strip of forest where you might see tamarins, tanagers, and toucans. The tile-floor rooms are small and basic; those on the canal side have balconies that offer glimpes of passing ships through the foliage, but they also get the low drone of engines at night, whereas street-side rooms are quieter. Ground-floor suites have kitchens and are the only rooms with TVs. The owners have a small travel agency and can set up day trips or tours of the country.
- Address: Quarry Heights, Casa No. 35; 50 yards south of ANCON office, Cerro Ancón, Panama City | Map It
- Phone: 507/314–1417
- Website: www.bedandbreakfastpanama.com
- Location: Cerro Ancón, Balboa, and the Calzada de Amador
- 15 rooms, 2 suites.
- Rate includes breakfast.
- Credit cards accepted.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Recently I wrote up a trip report:
Here are the pictures that go along with that report (i Read more
In early February of this year we spent 9 nights in Panama (4 in Gamboa on the canal, 4 in the western (Chiriqui) highlands, and 1 last night on Ancon Hill in Panama city). Read more
We plan on spending a week here (on the ground) and would like to do Panama City and one other destination where we can hike, horseback ride, kayak and/or white water raft, etc. Read more
· News & Features
Here are 11 reasons to sit at your computer on Cyber Monday and click away in pursuit of your next beach ... Read more
Ace Hotels are bringing their signature brand of hip, clubhouse-style hotels even further afield this... Read more
Want to know a cruising secret?... Read more