- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Timing and Precautions
As with most of Panama City, you are better off exploring Balboa and Cerro Ancón in the morning or late afternoon; the Calzada de Amador is a great spot for lunch, a sunset cocktail, or night time revelry. On Sunday afternoon, the promenade fills with joggers, bikers, and roller skaters. Balboa and the Calzada de Amador are perfectly safe, but you'll want to avoid the neighborhoods on the other side of the Avenida de los Martires from Cerro Ancón.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $985 & up -- Panama: 7-Nt. City, Jungle & Beach Tour w/Air LatinEscapes.com