Beaches in Panama City
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Because of the silt that the Panama Canal dumps into the ocean and the sewage from Panama City, the beaches near the city are not recommended for swimming. Some of the country's nicest Pacific beaches are on Isla Contadora, a 90-minute ferry ride, or 20-minute flight from the city. For clear water nearer to Panama City, head to Isla Taboga, a 60-minute ferry ride from the Calzada de Amador, which is a popular day trip. The closest beach to Panama City is Playa Bonita (Playa Kobbe), which is 8 km (5 miles) southwest of the city, across the canal. It is the site of the Intercontinental and Westin Playa Bonita resorts, where the only option for beach access for nonguests is to make lunch reservations at the hotels' beachfront restaurants.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's