The main dangers in Guna Yala are the sun and sea creatures such as Portuguese man o' war, which are rare. Visiting Parque Nacional Darién and the area around it is currently not advisable because armed Colombian guerrilla groups have been known to slip into Panamanian territory; some hikers were kidnapped there years ago. When hiking through the rain forest anywhere in Panama, be careful where you put your hands and feet because there are plenty of palms with spiny trunks, some stinging insects, and the occasional poisonous snake.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's