Sports and the Outdoors
The ocean around Piñas Bay has Panama's best fishing, with sailfish and blue and black marlin biting most of the year. December through February are the best months for black marlin—many people book their weeks at the Tropic Star Lodge years in advance. The marlin fishing drops off in March, improving again from May to September. Sailfish are common in the area from April to September. Fishing at Tropic Star is catch-and-release for billfish, whereas fish for eating, such as tuna and dolphin, are served for dinner. There are plenty of big tuna and dolphin in the area, and smaller fighters such as roosterfish, wahoo, and mackerel inshore, where you can also troll deep for snapper and grouper.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's