Underwater Guna Yala
The Guna prohibit scuba diving in their territorial waters, but snorkeling is permitted, and the abundance of shallow reefs makes it a great place to experience the undersea world. Most of the San Blas Islands have coral reefs nearby with massive coral formations, as well as colorful sponges, anemones, and sea fans. Hundreds of fish species inhabit the underwater gardens, including damselfish, angelfish, barracudas, eels, eagle rays, and nurse sharks. Conditions are best between August and November. Don't snorkel close to populated islands, where human waste enters the sea.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's