Getting Here and Around
Western Guna Yala can be reached by flying Air Panama to El Porvenir (PVE). Flights depart at 6 am, and are met by guides from the area's lodges.
Cartí is the only part of Guna Yala that can be reached by land, via the Llano-Cartí road, which runs between the village of El Llano, on the Interamerican Highway, north to the rudimentary port of Cartí. Lam Tours offers daily service between Panama City and Cartí in a four-wheel-drive vehicle.
Río Sidra is accessible by land, via the Llano-Cartí road, or by air, via El Porvenir. Lam Tours offers a daily taxi service between Panama City and Cartí, Air Panama has daily flights to El Porvenir (PVE). Río Sidra lodges can pick you up at either Cartí or El Porvenir.
Air Panama (507/316–9000. www.flyairpanama.com.)
Lam Tours. The only part of Guna Yala that can be reached by road is the western El Porvenir area, via the Llano–Cartí road, which crosses the lushly forested Serranía de San Blas. Lam Tours runs a bus/taxi service from Panama City to Cartí, where boats from lodges near El Porvenir and Río Sidra pick up guests. Lam Tours will pick you up at your hotel at 5:30 am, reaching Cartí around 9:30 am, and returns to Panama City shortly thereafter. 507/6676–6384 or 507/6706–2810.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's