El Porvenir, Cartí, and Río Sidra
The most accessible and popular part of Guna Yala is the cluster of islands on its western end, the most prominent of which are the provincial capital of El Porvenir, and Cartí Suitupo and Rio Sidra, which are the area's largest communities. This area holds the same kinds of timeless indigenous villages and paradisiacal islands as the rest of Guna Yala, the differences being that it receives more visitors, especially during the New Year, Carnaval, and Easter holidays and its hotels are geared toward backpackers, whereas lodges to the east provide a higher level of comfort and service.
El Porvenir, Cartí, and Río Sidra at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's