- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
A breezy little town, Volcán has the best view of Volcán Barú, several miles northeast. The town is a dreary succession of restaurants, banks, and other businesses spread along a north–south route.
Bambito and Cerro Punta are more attractive and have the area's best hotels, so there is little reason to stay in Volcán except that it's much warmer than Cerro Punta, which can get cool at night between December and March. It is also a convenient jumping-off point for summiting Barú Volcano via the southern route or bird-watching at Finca Hartmann. This is an ideal base for white-water rafting on the Río Chiriquí Viejo, since you can join rafting trips in Concepción, 33 km (21 miles) south.
Volcán at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in Chiriquí Province
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's