- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Getting Here and Around
It takes about six hours to drive to Santa Catalina from Panama City, driving west on the Carretera Interamericana to Santiago, and then southwest, via Soná, the 110 km (68 miles) to Playa Santa Catalina. In Santiago, turn left at the church and follow the signs to Soná, which is 50 km (31 miles) southwest of Santiago. The turnoff for Santa Catalina is shortly before Soná, by the Shell gas station. From there, it is another 45 km (28 miles) to the village of El Tigre, where you have to make another left, and at the next town, Hicaco, turn right at the police station. The main road ends at the beach, but hotels are up a rough dirt road on the left before the beach.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $985 & up -- Panama: 7-Nt. City, Jungle & Beach Tour w/Air LatinEscapes.com