- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Getting Here and Around
It takes about six hours to drive to Santa Catalina from Panama City, driving west on the Carretera Interamericana to Santiago, and then southwest, via Soná, the 110 km (68 miles) to Playa Santa Catalina. In Santiago, turn left at the church and follow the signs to Soná, which is 50 km (31 miles) southwest of Santiago. The turnoff for Santa Catalina is shortly before Soná, by the Shell gas station. From there, it is another 45 km (28 miles) to the village of El Tigre, where you have to make another left, and at the next town, Hicaco, turn right at the police station. The main road ends at the beach, but hotels are up a rough dirt road on the left before the beach.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's