- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
There are three good surf breaks on Isla Colón, all of them 5–7 km (3–4 miles) from Bocas. The best months for surfing are November to March, though there are often good swells in July and August. They all require intermediate or expert skills. September and October tend to be the flattest months. There are waves about half the time the rest of the year.
Paunch is a reef break 5 km (3 miles) north of town, around the bend from the Playa Mango Resort, that you have to walk over a coral platform to reach. The best way to get there from town is by boat. It breaks mostly left, and is for intermediate to expert surfers. Dumpers is an excellent left reef break on the point north of Paunch, 7 km (4 miles) north of town. It is a quick, hollow wave that gets dangerous when big. Playa Bluff has a powerful beach break close to shore when there's a good swell.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe