- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Genesis Ek Balam
At a Glance
- intimate atmosphere
- cultural programs
- close to the Ek Balam ruins
- Early morning crowing roosters
- sometimes difficult to make reservations by phone
- pitted road to hotel
- those with allergies might have issues with the owner's dogs
Genesis Ek Balam Review
Close to the Ek Balam site, this simple retreat is modeled on the local dwellings of the region. Cabins of stucco, wood, and thatch surround a casually maintained open area with a ritual sweat lodge, meditation room, and a bio-filtered swimming pool. Several rooms have outdoor eco-showers and ensuite bathrooms, or you can opt for one of the four economical rooms with shared bathrooms. Unique accommodations range from the two-story Mayan temple (ideal for families) to the "birdhouse" with a spiral staircase that leads to a tiny room perched in a tree. The owner organizes artisan tours of a nearby Mayan village where you'll grind corn for tortillas and learn about weaving and other traditional crafts. If you'd rather explore solo, you can rent a bike to tour nearby ruins and sinkholes. The Genesis restaurant offers organic produce directly from the owner's farm. Tours of the farm are available for those interested in permaculture and organic farming.
- Address: Domicilio Conocido, Turn left on last road before entrance to Ek Balam Ruins. Continue 2 km toward the Ek Balam village and follow signs to Genesis., , Yucatán 97780
- Phone: 985/100-4805; 985/101-0277
- Website: www.genesisretreat.com
- Location: Ek Balam
- 9 cabins.
- Rate includes no meals.
- No credit cards.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book in Merida: Save at the Hacienda Merida in Jun Fr $151+/Nt Expedia
- Book in Merida: Save at the Colon in Jun Fr $62+/Nt Expedia
- $164 & Up: The Villa Merida 4-Star Hotel in Merida — $164 Expedia
- Save Big This Jun! Book 3 Nts at Del Gobernador Fr $48+/Nt — $48 Expedia
- Sale! Save 20% on this Stay.: Caribe in Jun — $52 Save with Expedia, $11/night less
This is our 3rd condo rental visit to PDC. Read more
· News & Features
With a burgeoning food and drink scene, gorgeous green spaces, and festivals galore, Philly should be... Read more
In Spain, the gin and tonic (called "gin tonics") is an art form with carefully chosen gin and small-batch... Read more
Hong Kong is known for great food, buzzing nightlife, inspiring attractions, and for having one of the... Read more