- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Genesis Ek Balam
At a Glance
- intimate atmosphere
- cultural programs
- close to the Ek Balam ruins
- Early morning crowing roosters
- sometimes difficult to make reservations by phone
- pitted road to hotel
- those with allergies might have issues with the owner's dogs
Genesis Ek Balam Review
Close to the Ek Balam site, this simple retreat is modeled on the local dwellings of the region. Cabins of stucco, wood, and thatch surround a casually maintained open area with a ritual sweat lodge, meditation room, and a bio-filtered swimming pool. Several rooms have outdoor eco-showers and ensuite bathrooms, or you can opt for one of the four economical rooms with shared bathrooms. Unique accommodations range from the two-story Mayan temple (ideal for families) to the "birdhouse" with a spiral staircase that leads to a tiny room perched in a tree. The owner organizes artisan tours of a nearby Mayan village where you'll grind corn for tortillas and learn about weaving and other traditional crafts. If you'd rather explore solo, you can rent a bike to tour nearby ruins and sinkholes. The Genesis restaurant offers organic produce directly from the owner's farm. Tours of the farm are available for those interested in permaculture and organic farming.
- Address: Domicilio Conocido, Turn left on last road before entrance to Ek Balam Ruins. Continue 2 km toward the Ek Balam village and follow signs to Genesis., Yucatán 97780
- Phone: 985/100–4805; 985/101–0277
- Website: www.genesisretreat.com
- Location: Ek Balam
- 9 cabins.
- Rate includes no meals.
- No credit cards.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
While I have not yet received the pics of the Stripped Marlin I caught in Cabo - the one who jumped completely out of the water at least 8 times (looked like a Rainbow Trout it was so agile - but hey - Read more
hola mi amigos- Just returned from 10 glorious days in my beloved Puerto Vallarta, so here is my new thread for this most recent trip.
The weather was HOT, from 82-87 degree range but hit 95 at couple Read more
I am off to the Puebla Bonita Pacifico Resort for a week and am wondering if there is anything interesting to do in the environs. Read more
· News & Features
From milk and cookies to a full-on Christmas tree (with the option to decorate it yourself), hotels are... Read more
As 2013 comes to a close, there's no slowing down for the Bay Area's restaurant scene.... Read more
Visit the mysterious Land of the Golden Pagodas—Myanmar—with AmaWaterways, starting in Novembe... Read more