- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Fodor's See It Mexico, 3rd Edition
Genesis Ek Balam
At a Glance
- intimate atmosphere
- cultural programs
- close to the Ek Balam ruins
- Early morning crowing roosters
- sometimes difficult to make reservations by phone
- pitted road to hotel
- those with allergies might have issues with the owner's dogs
Check Rates from our Partners
Genesis Ek Balam Review
Close to the Ek Balam site, this simple retreat is modeled on the local dwellings of the region. Cabins of stucco, wood, and thatch surround a casually maintained open area with a ritual sweat lodge, meditation room, and a bio-filtered swimming pool. Several rooms have outdoor eco-showers and ensuite bathrooms, or you can opt for one of the four economical rooms with shared bathrooms. Unique accommodations range from the two-story Mayan temple (ideal for families) to the "birdhouse" with a spiral staircase that leads to a tiny room perched in a tree. The owner organizes artisan tours of a nearby Mayan village where you'll grind corn for tortillas and learn about weaving and other traditional crafts. If you'd rather explore solo, you can rent a bike to tour nearby ruins and sinkholes. The Genesis restaurant offers organic produce directly from the owner's farm. Tours of the farm are available for those interested in permaculture and organic farming.
- Address: Domicilio Conocido, Turn left on last road before entrance to Ek Balam Ruins. Continue 2 km toward the Ek Balam village and follow signs to Genesis., Yucatán 97780
- Phone: 985/100–4805; 985/101–0277
- Website: www.genesisretreat.com
- Location: Ek Balam
- 9 cabins.
- Rate includes no meals.
- No credit cards.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Just back from 5 days (Feb 13 -17) in Puerto Vallarta. Read more
Forty five minutes by good highway from Ixtapa/Zihuatenejo Airport is the small fishing village of Troncones which we think is almost perfect. Read more
I am flying into Cancun with my husband and infant around 3pm on a Friday. Read more
· News & Features
After the recent debut of his Grand Cayman-inspired novel The Forever Girl, author Alexander McCall ... Read more
When's the best time to go?... Read more
The world's northernmost capital is a charming destination in all seasons.... Read more