Genesis Ek Balam
At a Glance
- intimate atmosphere
- cultural programs
- close to the Ek Balam ruins
- Early morning crowing roosters
- sometimes difficult to make reservations by phone
- pitted road to hotel
- those with allergies might have issues with the owner's dogs
Genesis Ek Balam Review
Close to the Ek Balam site, this simple retreat is modeled on the local dwellings of the region. Cabins of stucco, wood, and thatch surround a casually maintained open area with a ritual sweat lodge, meditation room, and a bio-filtered swimming pool. Several rooms have outdoor eco-showers and ensuite bathrooms, or you can opt for one of the four economical rooms with shared bathrooms. Unique accommodations range from the two-story Mayan temple (ideal for families) to the "birdhouse" with a spiral staircase that leads to a tiny room perched in a tree. The owner organizes artisan tours of a nearby Mayan village where you'll grind corn for tortillas and learn about weaving and other traditional crafts. If you'd rather explore solo, you can rent a bike to tour nearby ruins and sinkholes. The Genesis restaurant offers organic produce directly from the owner's farm. Tours of the farm are available for those interested in permaculture and organic farming.
- Address: Domicilio Conocido, Turn left on last road before entrance to Ek Balam Ruins. Continue 2 km toward the Ek Balam village and follow signs to Genesis., Yucatán, 97780
- Phone: 985/100–4805; 985/101–0277
- Website: www.genesisretreat.com
- Location: Ek Balam
- 9 cabins
- Rate includes no meals.
- No credit cards.