Enormously popular and rightly so, the red-walled Slavia is an exotic Orientalist beauty. There are all sorts of nooks where you can be alone yet together with upscale Meridians. Ambient music in the background, low lighting, beaded curtains, embroidered tablecloths, mirrors, and sumptuous pillows and settees surrounding low tables produce a fabulous vibe that you won't find anywhere else in Mérida. Double check your bill for fraudulent tax and tip charges since several customers have reported incidents recently. If smoking a hookah under Buddha's watchful eyes isn't your thing, check out the two other concepts the owner has opened on the same block—Cubaroo, a Latin-themed fusion restaurant and bar whose roof deck has spectacular views of the Monument to the Flag, and Tobago, a cozy replica of a Parisian café.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's