- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Centro Deportivo Kukulcán. Baseball is played with enthusiasm between February and July at the Centro Deportivo Kukulcán. There are also tennis courts, soccer courts, and an Olympic pool. It's most common to buy your ticket at the on-site ticket booth the day of the game. A-league volleyball and basketball games and tennis tournaments are also held here. Circuito Colonias, Calle 6 No. 315, across street from Pemex gas station and next to Santa Clara Brewery, Col. Unidad Morelos, Mérida, Yucatán, 97177. 999/940-4261.
Progreso Beach. Far from the pristine beaches of the Caribbean, Progreso's main beach runs several miles along the malecón (boardwalk). The main draw is its proximity to Mérida, a 30-minute drive from the coast, which often leaves the shores packed with tourists and locals during summer weekends and holidays. But the sand's grey, the water's murky, and the beaches are littered with beer bottles and dead fish. Water shoes are recommended since there are sharp and slippery rocks below the surface, making this a poor spot for diving or snorkeling. The beach is void of shade, so your best bet is to find refuge in one of the restaurants lining the malecón. Several restaurant owners rent beach chairs by the hour, but beware that Progreso's peddlers are relentless and will only leave once they receive a small tip. Despite its drawbacks, Progreso's waters offer a refreshing escape from the bustling city and provide the fish that's served in local restaurants. Although there are no public facilities, bathrooms are available at nearby restaurants. Cruise ships dock here about twice a week, so to avoid the crowds, walk along the beach toward the lighthouse. Amenities : food and drink; toilets. Best for : partiers; walking. Av. Malecón at Calle 28, Progreso, Yucatán.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Small budget: Stay in Merida this May Fr $79+/Nt Save with Expedia, $29/night less
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Merida at Colonial Fr $44+/Nt Expedia
- Merida Savings! Book 3 Nts in May at Ibis Merida Fr $57+/Nt — $57 Expedia
- Del Gobernador in May: $51 & Up — $51 Expedia
- Merida Savings! Book at Piedra de Agua Boutique Fr $84+/Nt — $84 Expedia