- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Getting Here and Around
To get to Isla Holbox from Río Lagartos, take Carretera 176 to Kantunilkin and then head north on the unnumbered road for 44 km (27 miles) to Chiquilá. The road is long and pitted with potholes, so avoid driving at night. You can park at Pancho's Parking for $4 a day (next to the port) and continue by ferry to the island. Schedules vary, but there are normally five crossings a day from around 5 am to 6 pm. The fare is $7 and the trip takes about 35 minutes. A car ferry makes the trip at 11 am daily, returning at 5 pm, but it is recommended to leave your car in Chiquilá and explore the island by golf cart. These little golf-cart taxis ply the island for about $15 an hour or you can rent your own for $10 an hour. You may be able to negotiate a better price if you're renting for several hours or traveling in low season. Some hotels also offer complimentary bikes for guests.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe