- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Tiny Isla Holbox (25 km [16 miles] long) sits at the eastern end of the Ría Lagartos estuary and just across the Quintana Roo state line. A fishing fan's heaven because of the hordes of pampano, bass, barracuda, and sharks just offshore, the island also pleases bird-watchers and seekers of tranquillity. Birds fill the mangrove estuaries on the island's leeward side, whale sharks cruise offshore April through September, and sandy beaches are strewn with seashells. Although the water is often murky—the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean come together here—it's shallow and warm, and there are some nice places to swim. Sandy streets lead to simple seafood restaurants where the fish fillets, conch, octopus, and other delicacies are always fresh.
Isla's lucky population numbers some 2,000 souls, and in summer it seems there are as many biting bugs per person. Bring plenty of mosquito repellent. There is Internet at most hotels and several ATMs on the island (some smaller businesses accept cash only, so visit an ATM to stock up before you get here, just in case).
There are less-expensive lodgings for those who eschew conventional beds in favor of fresh air and a hammock. Since it's a small island, it's easy to check several lodgings and make your choice. Hotel owners can help you set up bird-watching, fishing, and whale shark-viewing expeditions.
Isla Holbox at a Glance
Elsewhere in Yucatán and Campeche States
- Chichén Itzá
- Ek Balam
- Grutas de Balancanchén
- Grutas de Loltún
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book in Merida: Save this Jun Fr $48+/Nt Expedia
- Save in Merida: Book 3 Nts in Jun Fr $71+/Nt Save with Expedia, $11/night less
- Merida Savings! Book at Fiesta Americana Merida Fr $100+/Nt — $100 Save with Expedia, $22/night less
- Colonial in Jun: $44 & Up — $44 Expedia
- The Villa Merida in Jun: $164 & Up — $164 Expedia